Thursday, July 19, 2007
Delicious Salad Ideas
Here are some delicious salad ideas that have different taste and textures. One of my personal favourite is the Asian Style Tofu Salad. Due to the use of tofu, this dish is very filling. It has a sweet and hot taste while the peanuts add a crunchiness to it.
For Bean Salad, try to use beans of different colours and size so that it will have a visual impact (Kids love food that are colourful).
Fruit and vegetable Salad is an all time favourite with my daughter.
I like to add raisins to this recipe as it gives a chewy taste. (Raisin is my daughter's favourite snack too). Try changing the fruits, for example, use mandarin orange segments instead of grapefruit or add additional topical fruits like mango or papaya to give it a different taste.
Asian Style Tofu Salad
2 tps sweet chilli sauce
1/2 tps grated ginger
1 clove garlic - crushed
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tbs olive oil
250 g firm tofu
100 g snow peas - cut into 3cm
2 small carrots - cut into matchsticks
100 g red cabbage - finely shredded
2 tbs chopped peanuts
1. Place chilli sauce, ginger, garlic, soy and oil in screw top jar and shake well.
2. Cut tofu into 2cm cubes. Fry tofu and set aside to cool.
3. Pour marinate over tofu and stir to combine. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Place snow peas in boiling water for 1 min, drain and plunge in cold water then drain again.
5. Add snow peas,carrots and cabbage to tofu and toss lightly.
6. Sprinkle with nuts.
Canned Broad beans
Canned Butter beans
Canned Red Kidney beans
1 small onion - finely sliced
2 tbs chopped parsley
2 tbs French dressing
1. Top and tail green beans. Cut into 4cm and place into a pan of boiling water for 1 min. Drain and plunge into cold water then drain again.
2. Drain canned beans into a colander, rinse well under running water and leave to drain.
3. Combine beans, onion and parsley. Pour dressing, stir to combine.
Fruit and Vegetable Salad
2 apples - cored and chopped into chunks.
1/2 Lemon - Grate rind finely and take the juice.
3 tbs sunflower oil.
250ml or 1 cup plain yogurt.
Salt and pepper to taste.
1/4 Small red cabbage - trimmed and finely sliced.
2 Celery Sticks - trimmed and sliced
90 g or 2/3 cup unsalted peanuts
Grapefruit Segments and Celery leaves to garnish.
1. Toss apples in 2 tbs of lemon juice.
2. Whisk the remaining lemon juice with the rind, oil and yogurt.
3. Put all ingredients except the garnish into a large bowl and toss with the dressing.
4. Garnish with the grapefruit and celery leaves.